What does Earth day mean? Earth Day, celebrated April 22, is a day designed to inspire awareness and appreciation for the Earth’s environment. Each day I try and do my part whether it’s turning off lights, unplugging electronics I’m not using or recycling – – every little bit helps. Here is my inspiration for anyone who reads this on Earth Day and all the days that follow.
10 ways you can Lay Off the Energy
1. Say goodnight lights, and computers too. Turn ’em off when you’re done.
2. Idlewise – never idle more that 5 minutes when you drive.
3. Cozy up for the climate – keep your thermostat at around 68 degrees year-round…dress in layers.
4. Be shady – lower or close window shades to control sunlight and solar heating during the hottest times of the day.
5. Unplug it – unplug unneeded equipment and appliances. Reducing standby power demands can save at least 5% (and upwards of 13%) in energy use.
6. Share a ride – carpool to meetings, events, etc…good for the environment
7. Keep it inside – close exterior doors to maximize indoor heating and cooling.
8. Do the energy sweep – last one out, shut it down.
9. Don’t be Fuelish – combine trips and errands to save fuel
10. Think before you print – do you really need a paper copy? Save energy and a tree.
This cartoon is the perfect reflection of what the Earth would say about the general American population if it could talk. Do your part people it all adds up.